The days are getting longer, the sun is out more often and it’s warmth can be felt on the skin when going outside.
The time of heart warming winter casseroles is getting to a close. Bring on the salad season!
I couldn’t help myself but to ask my good friend Michelle Burge from the Home Gourmet (www.mbhomegourmet.co.uk) to share her recipe for this beautiful grapefruit, chicken and pistachio salad. It’s simple and sophisticated at the same time!
Grapefruit, chicken & pistachio salad
- 500ml dry white wine
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- 2 skinless,boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 grapefruits, peeled & segmented
- 60g unsalted pistachios,shelled & toasted
- 60ml mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh Coriander
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 leaves of cos lettuce
- Paprika for sprinkling
- Combine wine, 500ml of water, vinegar, 1 tsp salt & peppercorns into a shallow pan . Bring to the boil over a medium- high heat. Reduce heat to a low simmer for 5 mins. Add chicken, cover and poach until just opaque, 6 to 8 mins. Remove chicken from liquid & cool for 5 mins then cut into cubes.
- Cut grapefruit segments in half horizontally. Place into a bowl with chicken & half of the pistachios.
- Add mayonnaise, mustard, coriander, lime juice, 1/2 tsp salt, pepper to taste and mix well.
- Divide lettuce leaves among 4 chilled salad plates. Fill each leaf with chicken salad, sprinkle with paprika and garnish with remaining pistachios. Serve at once.
I think you could also vary some of the ingredients to make slightly different versions of this salad, e.g. orange segments instead of grapefruit, basil instead of coriander, lemon instead of lime, greek yoghurt instead of mayonnaise.
I believe in being a sort of inquisitive scientist in the kitchen and approaching the preparation of dishes in this manner – “I wonder what it will taste like if I do this instead of this, put this ingredient instead of this?”